Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Web 2.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0

Web 2.0 basically targets the "sharing" aspect of web use. it enables users/subscribers to interact and engage using the internet as a platform for communication, learning, and growth. It is a much more "user-friendly" system than its predecessor. Much of the aspects of Web 2.0 is free, but often with conditions (requiring ads, limiting total content allowed, etc.). It encourages collaboratve efforts and networking.

Examples include:
- Wikipedia
- Myspace
- Facebook
- Podcasts
- Wikis
- Blogs
- Flickr/Picasa
- Skype (a free computer communication service)
- Image generators

Wow...I am amazed at how much this covers! It seems limitless as far as its capabilities - limited only to the imagination! It could really be a classroom perk, especially in encouraging student discussion. Several of my college courses involve student or class blogs and it can be a great way to interact with eachother...especially since the average college student hours of operation are definitly not during the day :) I think that I would definitely consider using a calss blog when I teach, but I would really need a lot more experience with the other things available on the web before implementing them into the classroom. I also really like the idea of podcasts, etc. for study purposes. Many students need repeated interaction with material before they can fully retain it. I would not mind recording my lectures for the students to use later, or podcasting assignments, etc.

No comments: