Friday, September 28, 2007

Reading, Writing, and Grammar

I decided to create these link sections because the study of English is so widespread; there are so many different aspects: literature, poetry, writing, spelling, conventions...the list goes on and on. I thought that by dividing them into some sort of grouping I would make it a litle easier on myself when I am looking for a certain help aid online. Instead of searching through the entire collection, now I can access the links according to their group.

I LOVE the grammar games website that I found. While the games and content may be a bit elementary for high school students, I found myself thoroughly engaged as I worked to accumulate points and identify grammar in sentences. It could be a fun alternative to lecture for the students. Also - the questions get somewhat progressively harder as they go along.

The site about getting an "A" on an English paper will be a good site - both for myself and my students. I could use it as a grading resource and a standard for teaching to make sure that I cover all my bases in essay writing criteria. My students could use it as a personal checklist and writing guide from their own homes - instruction put into different terms than what I may have used to explain things. I added the writing prompts site because it intrigued me. We used writing prompts to start class when I was in high school and i remember loving them and looking forward to them every day. There is such a wide variety of prompts on this site that I could always keep things fresh and new in my class.

I love Sparknotes because of its simplicity. To be perfectly honest, many works of literature are difficult to understand in their entirety, and Sparknotes breaks them down into manageable chunks and also offers information on major characters, and sections on themes, symbols, and motifs found in eack work. This could be a valuable resource both for myself and my students. The Shadow Poetry site was interesting because it was a mix of "professional," published poetry and amateur poetry. The site offers contests and poetry writing avenues that could be of interest to students. It also offers a wide range of topics to choose from, as well as detailed looks at each different type and style of poem that would prove helpful when teaching poetry writing to the class.

Lesson plans, examples, games, informational sites, and more abound in the websites I listed - I am excited to get to make use of them in the classroom.

No comments: