Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Why I want to be a teacher / The role of technology in education

I want to be a teacher for many reasons...most of which seem to change daily :) I had an amazing teacher in middle school that really pushed and challenged me to think critically about life and learning instead of just blindly accepting facts - something that has stuck with me througout my education. He, among a slew of other positive teaching inflences, is what helped point me in the direction of teaching as my profession. I love kids of all ages, and teaching is one way to be a hands-on daily influence to them. Ultimately, I want to be in a public school setting. I grew up in a private Christian school and, to be honest, it helped me see the need for positive Christian influence in secular circles too. I also love learning, and being a teacher is one way to ensure that my learning will continue.

Technology is, undoubtably, deeply rooted in our society - to ignore it in the classroom would be a disservice to both the students and ourselves. The students are the future of our country and of our world - we need to prepare them for the future and to be successful in an ever-growing and changing technological era.

1 comment:

Prof. Sorenson said...

Sounds like you have had some good teachers who have had an part in your decision to be a teacher. It truly is a career where you will have the opportunity to constantly learn new things! And your comment regarding Christian teachers in public schools is so true. What an important role you will play in the lives of your students.